Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I switched from OEM Primacy to Pilot Sport All Season 4s on my premium 4x. I kept standard 225’s as well. I lost about 0.2-0.4 m/kWh on average. I got them during a change of season so I need to see efficiency during full summer, but it’s been pretty consistent with that loss throughout fall and winter.

I drive a bit more aggressively on back roads with the better tires… so that might impact my efficiency numbers a bit… 😅
Sponsored

mkhuffman

Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I switched from OEM Primacy to Pilot Sport All Season 4s on my premium 4x. I kept standard 225’s as well. I lost about 0.2-0.4 m/kWh on average. I got them during a change of season so I need to see efficiency during full summer, but it’s been pretty consistent with that loss throughout fall and winter.

I drive a bit more aggressively on back roads with the better tires… so that might impact my efficiency numbers a bit… 😅
That would make your efficiency hit at around 10%. I think it will be less of a hit on the GTPE, because those tires likely have a higher rolling resistance than the Premium 4x ones.

Sin_Chase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD ER
Given the changes which are made in EV specific tyres I would be weary about fitting non EV specific products. There is more to EV specific tyres than I originally thought, not just road noise considerations but weight loading, tread patterns, sidewall etc etc

samev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I've been buying tires at Discount Tire for over 25 years for 5 or 6 different cars. They told me that OE tires do not have a mileage warranty, only replacement tires bought after them. They have honored a mileage warranty for me on two or three occasions on the tires I have bought from them over the years.

The very first time this happened DT did not even charge for balancing, said it was included, that is no longer the case. The warranty has always been a discount on the new tires prorated according to the percentage of miles not realized on the worn out tires.
How does DT prorate tires? Does it have to be down to 2/32nds for them to offer a true prorate value (i.e., directly as a ratio of miles used vs. warrantied)? I took my other car to DT with 4/32nds left after driving for under 25% of warrantied miles, they insisted I buy new tires, but would refund less than 50% of the purchase price of the original tires. Apparently that's what their computer calculated.

larryk

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium on order
Country flag
How does DT prorate tires? Does it have to be down to 2/32nds for them to offer a true prorate value (i.e., directly as a ratio of miles used vs. warrantied)? I took my other car to DT with 4/32nds left after driving for under 25% of warrantied miles, they insisted I buy new tires, but would refund less than 50% of the purchase price of the original tires. Apparently that's what their computer calculated.
It's been a while since I've done this, but I thought it was required to wait until 2/32" so not sure why they insisted you replace at 4/32. I'm not exactly sure of the proration formula, whether it's based on price of original tires or replacement ones. To be fair all around it should be a refund based on cost of original ones.

I think there may be an element of time (life of tire/ 4 or 5 years?) now also. If you don't get down to the minimum tread before end of tire life then maybe no refund either?

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
I know nothing about tires but are these EV-rated? I do know that an EV requires tires with a stiffer side wall or something due to the added weight over an ICE... Help me understand where to find that rating in a tire spec.

OP
OP
heisnuts

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Today I was able to spend a few hours out in the country having fun - I mean to continue my HVBJB testing - on the new tires.

There is definitely more grip with these tires, but I have also lost a little range as expected. On the OEM Primacy’s I averaged 2.5 mi/kWh and todays run on the Pilot Sports averaged 2.2 mi/kWh. This morning I started out with 100% and a 281 mile range showing and 150 miles later I was at 20% and 41 mile range showing. With the original tires that loop would have resulted in about 60 miles left.

Ford Mustang Mach-E What a Difference New Tires Make -- Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires ECCEBE26-DFC2-4BA3-A1C6-665741C302E0

To be fair, all of that loss might not just be due to rolling resistance. With the better grip with these tires I find myself getting on the throttle a little sooner coming out of the turns so that might also be contributing to the loss in range too 😄

Overall I am very impressed with the Pilot Sport tires. There is probably a little loss in efficiency, but the gain in grip and riding comfort more than makes up for it.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I know nothing about tires but are these EV-rated? I do know that an EV requires tires with a stiffer side wall or something due to the added weight over an ICE... Help me understand where to find that rating in a tire spec.
Its motley a coming soon thing. I would say by 2025 most manufactures will make an EV tire now they are rare.

Here is a Hankook website and no I am not endorsing Hankook it does a good job of telling the EV Tire story
https://www.hankooktire.com/global/en/tech-in-motion/ev-tire.html

mkhuffman

Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Given the changes which are made in EV specific tyres I would be weary about fitting non EV specific products. There is more to EV specific tyres than I originally thought, not just road noise considerations but weight loading, tread patterns, sidewall etc etc
Not sure how it is done in the UK, but tires that have the XL rating are good to go on the MME. Tires not XL rated are on the edge of being dangerous IMO.

https://www.prioritytire.com/blog/standard-load-sl-vs-extra-load-xl-tires/

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Not sure how it is done in the UK, but tires that have the XL rating are good to go on the MME. Tires not XL rated are on the edge of being dangerous IMO.

https://www.prioritytire.com/blog/standard-load-sl-vs-extra-load-xl-tires/
It's the same and thanks for pointing this out, the exception is most of these new EV tires use a newer HL or High Load rating. It's a step above XL and something that is very new

https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyres/high-load-hl-tires-for-electric-hybrid-cars-and-suvs

Last edited:

kgautam28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eco boost 2016, 2021 Mach e FE, 2022 Mach E GT PE
Occupation
Software
Country flag
Sorry to disagree with your personal experience, but IMO it is impossible there isn't a range penalty. These are not low rolling resistance tires, while the ones Ford put on are.

The penalty might be smaller for the GTPE because maybe those summer OEM tires are stickier than those on other models (such as the GT), but definitely there is a range hit. I doubt it is more than 10% and it might be closer to 5%, which could be hard to detect using the GOM.

BTW - using the GOM as validation probably isn't a very accurate way to verify the impact.
I think I know my GOM and how it changes based on my driving style, weather and other conditions. Same is the case for others. In summer my GOM shows 300miles and usually does more than that, and in winter it does nearly to the mile.

So for me it is accurate, so is the mi/kwh and how much % I use when driving to the same place of work across different seasons days and traffic conditions.

It's possible I've become an efficient driver, but I hardly see any difference. Same way the case with my Mach E Premium before the GT, not much difference.

MABachE131

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT in DMG
Country flag
so all these 55k and 45k tires only getting less then 20k miles. anyone even bothered trying to claim a warranty? or are tire warranties still more worthless the the paper they are on? with every scenario them just saying it was your driving and denying a claim. I dont personally know one person who has ever successfully had a manufacturer tier warranty honored for tread life. but seems to me a 55k tire only getting 19k should qualify for something.
My wife's Explorer Sport... She blew through the OEM tires. Her service manager took notice and thought it was ridiculous, he contacted Hancook and got 100% replacement.

DR.J56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-350. 2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I’m about to flip 33k miles and still on the stock tires. You guys are hard on tires, and I’m not exactly taking it easy either. I also had the HVBJB replaced since we are using that as a measuring stick. Premium 4x
Sponsored