Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Escape, ‘21 J2 Mach e, 2024 Maverick Hybrid
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Don’t waste your time, you didn’t read very well.

1679655848276.png
Rick, I’ve got what is needed, except how to store “record” data.
Guess I need to Google info on InfluxDB Cloud…
Have not downloaded OBD Record…. Bill P

OP
OP
Jiji

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT 2023 Rivian R1S
Country flag
Rick, I’ve got what is needed, except how to store “record” data.
Guess I need to Google info on InfluxDB Cloud…
Have not downloaded OBD Record…. Bill P
Download OBD Record and the first step in the onboarding process allows you to copy a link to a tutorial on setting up an InfluxDB Cloud instance. Go and set up InfluxDB and come back with the fields you need to setup OBD Record and OBD Play.

You can start with the free tier but the cost is pennies a month so I recommend going with the Usage-Based tier.

BillPitman

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Escape, ‘21 J2 Mach e, 2024 Maverick Hybrid
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Download OBD Record and the first step in the onboarding process allows you to copy a link to a tutorial on setting up an InfluxDB Cloud instance. Go and set up InfluxDB and come back with the fields you need to setup OBD Record and OBD Play.

You can start with the free tier but the cost is pennies a month so I recommend going with the Usage-Based tier.
OK, had started to get InfluxDB, created an account, but was stuck when asked for - “account”, then “Organization”……..
Will follow your instructions above, maybe the secrets lie there…….. Bill P

OP
OP
Jiji

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OK, had started to get InfluxDB, created an account, but was stuck when asked for - “account”, then “Organization”……..
Will follow your instructions above, maybe the secrets lie there…….. Bill P
Others have succeeded with the tutorial so it has been tested.

cknasaboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E California Route 1
Occupation
ISS and Orion Flight Controller
Country flag
That is a big leap of faith when I clearly stated the OBDLink MX+ is required.

Anyone without an OBDLink MX+ should just follow along for now and at some future time decide if it is worthwhile to make the $150 investment.
Not really a leap of faith if I go and test it out myself! My hypothesis (given how little I know about what it takes to integrate these adapters into your app) was that maybe what you'd done to get the MX+ to work would also enable my adapter to work (maybe they were similar enough!).

I think this app/project is awesome, and I wish you the best with it!

ericNdfw

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ericsmalling.com
Vehicles
`21 MME Prem 4X w/GTPE wheels,`22 Hyundai Palisade
Occupation
Solutions Architect (software)
Country flag
Ok, finally got time to install and configure things and successfully was able to connect and see some data recorded and read. Will take a drive in a bit to test out an actual trip and then will look into the items you are needing current testing on.

TTF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium E4x
Country flag
Of course, all the base units are metric so I made special accommodations for those living in the feet/mile/mph/°F world. Jumping the gun here but select Metric in the settings and voila:

1678401826236.png

The bigger issue is how you like to see efficiency, kWh/100km?

Yes please!! For we Canadians, Transport Canada rates all cars in L/100km or kWh/100km. This would certainly help us here when comparing our cars to the ratings and to other cars. FordPass shows it only in km/kWh too sadly, and then I have maths to do LOL.

OP
OP
Jiji

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok, finally got time to install and configure things and successfully was able to connect and see some data recorded and read. Will take a drive in a bit to test out an actual trip and then will look into the items you are needing current testing on.
You can only view trips I have published in OBD Play, to record a trip you need to use the OBD Record app and have an OBDLink MX+ scan tool to pull the vehicle data from the OBDII connector.

OP
OP
Jiji

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes please!! For we Canadians, Transport Canada rates all cars in L/100km or kWh/100km. This would certainly help us here when comparing our cars to the ratings and to other cars. FordPass shows it only in km/kWh too sadly, and then I have maths to do LOL.
It has been done, I don't see it in the release notes on GitHub so it might not be available yet.

If you select to use metric units you now have an additional option to select how you prefer to see the efficiency (km/kWh or kWh/100 km) :

Ford Mustang Mach-E OBD Play: an iPhone app for viewing Mach-E trips and charging data 1680458612674

ericNdfw

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ericsmalling.com
Vehicles
`21 MME Prem 4X w/GTPE wheels,`22 Hyundai Palisade
Occupation
Solutions Architect (software)
Country flag
You can only view trips I have published in OBD Play, to record a trip you need to use the OBD Record app and have an OBDLink MX+ scan tool to pull the vehicle data from the OBDII connector.
i guess I should have that comment in the OBDRecord thread as I was implying that I'd be testing both.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jiji

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It has been a while since I did any work on OBD Play, here is an update that has a lot of changes under the hood and adds some new views for trip and charge data that has been added to OBD Record.

Original Post (as an Update)

Trip Spotlights
Now you can drill down into a trip and see the battery preconditioning and temperature during a trip. This is a trip made today where I directed the Ford navigation to head for a DCFC charger, seems like 80℉ is the battery temperature sweet spot for fast charging:

Ford Mustang Mach-E OBD Play: an iPhone app for viewing Mach-E trips and charging data 1686111937020

And the detailed trip view now has the energy used by preconditioning the battery using the coolant heater:

Ford Mustang Mach-E OBD Play: an iPhone app for viewing Mach-E trips and charging data 1686112321725

Now that it is getting warm, maybe I can record when the battery is being actively cooled and cover all the preconditioning options.

Charge Spotlights
View the requested and delivered power and the various temperatures during any recorded charge session:

Ford Mustang Mach-E OBD Play: an iPhone app for viewing Mach-E trips and charging data 1686112009980

Battery State of Health History
One other small change is to display the SoH history using the odometer or the battery age. I don't know if this matters but for now it is in OBD Play:

Ford Mustang Mach-E OBD Play: an iPhone app for viewing Mach-E trips and charging data 1686113441019

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
That's nice, but admittedly I've gotten fed up with the record app always losing my data and have stopped using it as a result. I only have about a 30% success rate at having the trip actually get saved. Everything is blue status and read/write tests okay, live data updating on the display, but I shift into park and POOF everything is gone with no record. Extremely frustrating nothing is saved, it should be uploading every few minutes so you don't lose everything because of some glitch. Or just do local saving like other apps.

OP
OP
Jiji

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Playing with iOS 17 which added scrolling to charts so reimagined the battery SoH history display with scrolling and coloring each charge session to break out the AC and DCFC charges:

Ford Mustang Mach-E OBD Play: an iPhone app for viewing Mach-E trips and charging data scrolling-soh

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
That's nice, but admittedly I've gotten fed up with the record app always losing my data and have stopped using it as a result. I only have about a 30% success rate at having the trip actually get saved. Everything is blue status and read/write tests okay, live data updating on the display, but I shift into park and POOF everything is gone with no record. Extremely frustrating nothing is saved, it should be uploading every few minutes so you don't lose everything because of some glitch. Or just do local saving like other apps.
I've been having the same issue. I thought it was just me, but I guess maybe not?
Sponsored