MBCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E AWD ER, Infinite Metallic Blue
Country flag
It will certainly open up a lot more charging options for us. But it should also be noted only about 60% of SC stations currently have V3 chargers, which is the minimum version that will work for us. So still kinda spotty. We're gonna have to check first to make sure it's a 250kw station.
Yeah, but thatā€™s still like 12,000 chargers isnā€™t it? Itā€™s a huge bump for us even if itā€™s not what a real Tesla can access.
Sponsored

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
On looks alone, the MME has it. Itā€™s very strange, the design language of the Tesla makes is almost impossible for the uneducated to tell the models apart, heck, I have a hard time being sure what Iā€™m looking at when I see a Tesla. No other car make has that going on.

The MME is a better ā€œcarā€, the TMY is a better ā€œEVā€. I was looking for a car first, the EV was incidental originally.
Franz von Holzhausen was the architect of all current Tesla models. Apparently he has only one idea how the cars should look, so regardless of the size and utility all his designs exhibit the same philosophy that doesn't change with years. He departed from the trodden path with Cybertruck design, but I suspect that was due to the Homer Simpsons effect.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah, but thatā€™s still like 12,000 chargers isnā€™t it? Itā€™s a huge bump for us even if itā€™s not what a real Tesla can access.
Oh for sure, it's a big expansion to our choices. But it is a little frustrating that some of the SC stations that would be most helpful as backups to EA are only V2 chargers that won't work. For me the #1 place I need backup to a chronically bad EA station is Green River UT. With no DCFC for 100 miles either direction on I-70 and a notoriously flaky EA there, a backup SC would be a godsend. But that one does me no good since it's a V2 station.

Just saying people need to know not to expect any SC station to work for us. Someone posted the stats and I think it worked out to 61% of them having V3s.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Franz von Holzhausen was the architect of all current Tesla models. Apparently he has only one idea how the cars should look, so regardless of the size and utility all his designs exhibit the same philosophy that doesn't change with years. He departed from the trodden path with Cybertruck design, but I suspect that was due to the Homer Simpsons effect.
Based how all the Teslas look (including the bizarre Cybertruck), seems like aerodynamics trumps everything else for them. It certainly trumps looks.

I'd have considered a Tesla had they looked better. But my preferences are in direct conflict with max aero. I like taller and boxier SUV shapes.

MBCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E AWD ER, Infinite Metallic Blue
Country flag
But that one does me no good since it's a V2 station
There is a supercharger station about a mile from me. But I expect Iā€™m in the same boat and itā€™s probably V2 (I donā€™t know how to figure that out).

I expect navigation software to know the difference and not route me to ones that wonā€™t work. Weā€™ll see if that pans out.

EDIT: PlugShare says theyā€™re 150kw which would indeed make them v2.

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There is a supercharger station about a mile from me. But I expect Iā€™m in the same boat and itā€™s probably V2 (I donā€™t know how to figure that out).

I expect navigation software to know the difference and not route me to ones that wonā€™t work. Weā€™ll see if that pans out.
You can tell on the Tesla map. Click on any station to see the details. "Up to 250kw" is a V3 station. "Up to 150kw" is only a V2 station.

https://www.tesla.com/findus

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Does Ford also qualify for $7500 rebate? Also, can you please elaborate how your Y is $71k?

Compare the GTPE with a Performance Y. Same size wheels. You cannot add full self driving as itā€™s comparing apples to oranges if you do that.

Or compare Premium AWD with Long Range Y. Same size wheels.
I did add full self driving to the Y. I was trying to make them equivalent.

ryano7700

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT
Country flag
Good review. I beg to differ, though.

I think Model Y AWD LR is still a better EV to own especially as someoneā€™s first EV.

1) Much cheaper than Ford higher trims to buy
2) Autopilot included for life
3) More functional infotainment
4) Sentry and dash camera built in
5) Network.
6) More educated service centers
7) Better thermal management (practice makes perfect) overall
8) Looks are subjective but build quality isnā€™t. And starting 2022 it is night and day compared with older year models.
9) Roomier
10) It is everywhere so there is no parts shortage anymore

Its lack of a few features (especially the omission of sensors / RCTA etc.) and quirks are discussed to death on this forum. But if I hadnā€™t owned an EV before, my first car even today would have been a Model Y. Itā€™s just a very easy ownership. In 2018 I had no other option but get a Tesla so thatā€™s a bad example to cite from that time. But I personally think thereā€™s one clear winning EV ā€œoverallā€ and thatā€™s Y. I said EV. Mach E is ever so slightly but a better ā€œcarā€ IMHO.

Hyundai / Kia are on the smaller side for me personally. If they were a little bigger and higher, theyā€™re not bad options (Ford and Tesla both drive better than them) but just like Ford, itā€™s a goodbye to resale value as soon as you buy it. And that might be okay for some of us.

Just an opinion.
Agree šŸ’Æ.

JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
Since January I've had 11 OTA updates that prior to this I had a very reliable daily experience. Now I have constant center screen reboots, various component saying not available. I've tried the dealership 3 times now for over 2 weeks and each time they say all fixed and within a day my screens rebooting.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Since January I've had 11 OTA updates that prior to this I had a very reliable daily experience. Now I have constant center screen reboots, various component saying not available. I've tried the dealership 3 times now for over 2 weeks and each time they say all fixed and within a day my screens rebooting.
Wow! Iā€™m fully up-to-date on PowerUps (and I think my modules are all reasonably current) and Iā€™ve never had issues like that. Have you asked someone on here to run your VIN?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Push them to replace your screen. Pretty sure there is a service bulletin on it because when I showed them a video of the ONE time my screen blanked out they ordered a new screen for me.

I had them cancel the order because it never happened again after fully updating my car.

JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
Screen was replaced and camera. They said it took several SW updates and I wasn't in the car 24 hrs and the screen was locking up, going black and rebooting with no improvements.

Last edited:

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Does Ford also qualify for $7500 rebate? Also, can you please elaborate how your Y is $71k?

Compare the GTPE with a Performance Y. Same size wheels. You cannot add full self driving as itā€™s comparing apples to oranges if you do that.

Or compare Premium AWD with Long Range Y. Same size wheels.
The MY is that much with advanced autopilot, before rebate.

Not saying that's a fair comparison but that's where the $71k comes from

Ford Mustang Mach-E Buying the Best EV Under $60,000: I Tested the Ford Mustang Mach-E, Tesla Model Y, Hyundai Ioniq 5 and Others Screenshot_20230826-211234

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Anyway, back to the Mach-E, I think her conclusion makes sense. Most of the automotive media makes a big deal out of range and charging infrastructure, and this forum too has a big focus on road trips, but for the average person, it's just not a particularly relevant consideration and she basically says as much in her conclusion (driving dynamics trump charging network).
EVs are great for day to day driving. They are perfect commuting appliances. The typical EV owner will have an ICE car too so it's best you enjoy 90% of the time (daily driving) versus focusing on the 10% (road trips).

Last weekend, I drove my gas SUV to various events and left the Rivian at home. Couldn't deal with the sh*tty CCS charging infrastructure and traffic between Orlando and Tampa.
Sponsored