Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks for getting back to me Mark! Look forward to hearing from you.
Ok Luke, I checked out the Max Defrost switch to see if you could just keep that in place and tap into one of the terminals and no you can't. None of them will work for a short to ground which is what we need to activate the rear hatch. So you either need to add your own switch like I did in my first Mach-E or replace the Max Defrost switch with a rear hatch switch like I did in my second.
Sponsored

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
Ok Luke, I checked out the Max Defrost switch to see if you could just keep that in place and tap into one of the terminals and no you can't. None of them will work for a short to ground which is what we need to activate the rear hatch. So you either need to add your own switch like I did in my first Mach-E or replace the Max Defrost switch with a rear hatch switch like I did in my second.
Thanks for this! Where would I go to find out how to remove the headlight switch assembly? Also, how easy was it to run the wire from the BCM to the switch? I'm handy at electronics, but not so handy with making things look nice :(

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks for this! Where would I go to find out how to remove the headlight switch assembly? Also, how easy was it to run the wire from the BCM to the switch? I'm handy at electronics, but not so handy with making things look nice :(
It is very easy to remove the headlamp switch. Using a plastic trim tool, pry on the left side bezel of the headlamp switch and it will pop out. It was very easy to run a wire from the BCM along the back of the firewall and then up to the headlamp switch. My first post in this thread explains which wire at the BCM to tap into.

Last edited:

coachluke

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
05 Ford Mustang, 22 Premium Grabber Blue SR RWD
Country flag
Thanks for checking on this for me Mark! I'll be ordering a switch to replace the defrost like you did on your GT. Appreciate you taking the time!

Rickless

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Mach-E 4 Premium
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
If anyone is looking for a used switch purchasing option, I found a few at August Pohl Auto Parts in Michigan. I just ordered mine!

https://www.augustpohl.com/used-parts/FORD/EXPLORER/20289/2020/DSH.INT.SEAT_SWITCH/863702/
https://www.augustpohl.com/used-parts/FORD/EXPLORER/20382/2020/DSH.INT.SEAT_SWITCH/875627/
https://www.augustpohl.com/used-parts/FORD/EXPLORER/21101/2020/DSH.INT.SEAT_SWITCH/878621/
https://www.augustpohl.com/used-parts/FORD/BRONCO_SPORT/22160/2021/DSH.INT.SEAT_SWITCH/928082/

Side question for Mark: Any thoughts on connecting a relay to the fog light switch and powering a separate accessory? Aftermarket interior/exterior lighting perhaps?

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
If anyone is looking for a used switch purchasing option, I found a few at August Pohl Auto Parts in Michigan. I just ordered mine!

https://www.augustpohl.com/used-parts/FORD/EXPLORER/20289/2020/DSH.INT.SEAT_SWITCH/863702/
https://www.augustpohl.com/used-parts/FORD/EXPLORER/20382/2020/DSH.INT.SEAT_SWITCH/875627/
https://www.augustpohl.com/used-parts/FORD/EXPLORER/21101/2020/DSH.INT.SEAT_SWITCH/878621/
https://www.augustpohl.com/used-parts/FORD/BRONCO_SPORT/22160/2021/DSH.INT.SEAT_SWITCH/928082/

Side question for Mark: Any thoughts on connecting a relay to the fog light switch and powering a separate accessory? Aftermarket interior/exterior lighting perhaps?
Thanks for the links! Is the only way to order calling them? I see no way to add the part to my cart. For that matter, I don't even see a cart.

Rickless

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Mach-E 4 Premium
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Thanks for the links! Is the only way to order calling them? I see no way to add the part to my cart. For that matter, I don't even see a cart.
I called them and referenced the Stock number, but I think you can also email them.

Rickless

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Mach-E 4 Premium
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Fog light switch?
The extra button to turn on the "fog lights" inside the headlight dial. Just wondering if there would be a reason to order a switch with the additional fog light capability.

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The extra button to turn on the "fog lights" inside the headlight dial. Just wondering if there would be a reason to order a switch with the additional fog light capability.
Oh, sorry. Was thinking you thought there was a fog light switch in the car. Without looking at the wiring diagram I think that could be done. If it’s the same price or not too much more expensive, get that switch and I’ll let you know if it’s possible.

However the important thing is that the new switch you get will still work correctly with all the Mach-E functions.

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force (ret.)
Country flag
I had to take @markboris's idea a step farther. Where you tap into the BCM is the same as the button on the rear hatch, I can't pop it when I'm inside and the door is locked with the vehicle running. This might be a very small minority of people, but it affects me. 😂

I investigated a 2021 escape wiring diagram to find out where it's button connects to and found it's on the Rear Gate Trunk Module (RGTM) pin 19, which is not so conveniently located inside the rear hatch. Anyway, since I was working on my rear camera for my dash cam, I ran a wire the whole way from the back to the headlight switch. It works perfectly just like it came stock!

Car on, door locked - button works
car off, door locked - button disabled after security arms
car off, door unlocked - button works

Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding an inside Liftgate Power Switch image2
Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding an inside Liftgate Power Switch image4

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Tngo23

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22-GTPE, Lexus GS350 F Sport, Porsche 911 SC
Occupation
Chilling
Country flag
I had to take @markboris's idea a step farther. Where you tap into the BCM is the same as the button on the rear hatch, I can't pop it when I'm inside and the door is locked with the vehicle running. This might be a very small minority of people, but it affects me. 😂

I investigated a 2021 escape wiring diagram to find out where it's button connects to and found it's on the Rear Gate Trunk Module (RGTM) pin 19, which is not so conveniently located inside the rear hatch. Anyway, since I was working on my rear camera for my dash cam, I ran a wire the whole way from the back to the headlight switch. It works perfectly just like it came stock!

Car on, door locked - button works
car off, door locked - button disabled after security arms
car off, door unlocked - button works

Pat,

Curious of where you installed the rear hatch button? Pic?
Btw: does the button only pop/open the hatch only or can it close pressing it again?

thx

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force (ret.)
Country flag
Pat,

Curious of where you installed the rear hatch button? Pic?
Btw: does the button only pop/open the hatch only or can it close pressing it again?

thx
I replaced the headlight switch like in post 57. Also you can open and close the hatch with that button.
Sponsored