Best Dashcam?

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I have the Blackvue DR900x-2ch with the LTE module for cloud -- and I will say that Blackvue just redid their app and really screwed it up. They just issued an app update which seems to solve most of the issues, but they still are pushing their subscription plan on users somewhat aggressively.

Blackvue encrypts their recordings, so you must use their app to connect to your camera and download footage -- you cannot take the MicroSD card out and plop it in a computer, like you can with other dashcams.

Their critical app was changed to do the following horrible things:
-- require you to sign in to a cloud account with them, even to view local footage from your camera
-- App starts on a "social media" tiktok screen that has creepy live view videos, instead of starting on the page to connect to your camera
-- App puts up interstitial page every day (now every 7 days?) spamming you to subscribe to an unncessary cloud plan (for a $400+ dashcam you bought), no way to permanantly disable this
-- App signs you out every day, which means your expensive dash cam would not deliver push notifications if the camera detects anything
-- App is very buggy and frequently does not connect at all to camera, leaving no option to access your recordings, and it crashes frequently

Blackvue got so reemed in their App Store reviews (think they're down to 1.3 stars now) that they apparently are trying to fix the issues, but people just want the old app back which was completely fine.

I'm currently testing the main high-end competitor to the Blackvue, the Thinkware U1000. It has its own issues, and some advantages, but I haven't decided yet if the benefits of the Thinkware make it worth going thru the switching costs of ripping out my Blackvue.

We'll see if the Blackvue folks improve their app quick enough to make me less pissed off at them as a customer, before I have to return the U1000.

This is helpful. I really liked the Blackvue (vs. Thinkware) and how they integrate for live monitoring/video/cloud performance, but I really hate how so many companies are pushing monthly fees now with everything they release to try to generate additional income streams.

I will probably wait till things settle down to see if they clean things up or go the cheap route and just not get anything with live video/LTE yet.
Sponsored

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
This is helpful. I really liked the Blackvue (vs. Thinkware) and how they integrate for live monitoring/video/cloud performance, but I really hate how so many companies are pushing monthly fees now with everything they release to try to generate additional income streams.

I will probably wait till things settle down to see if they clean things up or go the cheap route and just not get anything with live video/LTE yet.
Without cloud features, the newest VIOFO A139 Pro has supposedly great image quality with the latest Sony sensor. Vortex Radar and BlackBoxMyCar are good sources for the latest in dashcams...

Ninja4hire

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Shadow Black Mach-e GT, 2018 Camaro SS
Occupation
Not a paid assassin!
Country flag
Blackvue encrypts their recordings, so you must use their app to connect to your camera and download footage -- you cannot take the MicroSD card out and plop it in a computer, like you can with other dashcams.
Is this new with the update? I ask because I have two blackvue cameras (DR900S and DR900X) and I never use the app. I always pull the card and plug it into my PC to view the videos

2021-MMEx-RT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MMEx CA Route 1
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
I have the Blackvue DR900x-2ch with the LTE module for cloud -- and I will say that Blackvue just redid their app and really screwed it up. They just issued an app update which seems to solve most of the issues, but they still are pushing their subscription plan on users somewhat aggressively.

Their critical app was changed to do the following horrible things:
-- require you to sign in to a cloud account with them, even to view local footage from your camera
-- App starts on a "social media" tiktok screen that has creepy live view videos, instead of starting on the page to connect to your camera
-- App puts up interstitial page every day (now every 7 days?) spamming you to subscribe to an unncessary cloud plan (for a $400+ dashcam you bought), no way to permanantly disable this
-- App signs you out every day, which means your expensive dash cam would not deliver push notifications if the camera detects anything
-- App is very buggy and frequently does not connect at all to camera, leaving no option to access your recordings, and it crashes frequently

Blackvue got so reemed in their App Store reviews (think they're down to 1.3 stars now) that they apparently are trying to fix the issues, but people just want the old app back which was completely fine.

I'm currently testing the main high-end competitor to the Blackvue, the Thinkware U1000. It has its own issues, and some advantages, but I haven't decided yet if the benefits of the Thinkware make it worth going thru the switching costs of ripping out my Blackvue.

We'll see if the Blackvue folks improve their app quick enough to make me less pissed off at them as a customer, before I have to return the U1000.
Yeah, I was one of the irate folks. I don't have a cloud account with them, I just want to sometimes view the cam from my phone in the car to be sure it's not twisted and pointing at the sky and occasionally grab a file. But usually I'll pull the card and copy to my computer. When it 'demanded' I sign in and if I didn't have an account, wouldn't let me past that screen as before, you can bet I made one of my rare 'reviews' of their POS tactics.

I didn't even check to see if I could read the card afterwards! I recently changed the card after sometime during the drive it told me "Card is formatting" which I knew means that the card has lost some space and needed replacing (every ~2 years)

Then about a week? later, they 'updated' again and I was able to view locally. But you can bet, if they pull this again I'm removing the thing and going with ThinkVue or Rove R3 in a flash...

2021-MMEx-RT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MMEx CA Route 1
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
Is this new with the update? I ask because I have two blackvue cameras (DR900S and DR900X) and I never use the app. I always pull the card and plug it into my PC to view the videos
They 're, re updated to allow no account access'. but I haven't checked to see if I can actually read the card without an account. I'll check that today.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I really like ThinkWare cameras, but went with FitcamX for the Mustang because they have a nearly OEN-looking option with a direct plug solution (i.e., no splicing or running wires).
Ditto for the Lightning. I really like the "invisible" and easy installation. I put both the front and back cameras in the Lightning.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Best Dashcam? IMG_5963

Ford Mustang Mach-E Best Dashcam? IMG_5961

Ford Mustang Mach-E Best Dashcam? IMG_5965

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
If you want something that will work ala "sentry mode" when the vehicle is parked AND send notifications, I would recommend one of the LTE variants of Blackvue. There's addon modules for many cams to allow for notifications, but the LTE Blackvue cams have it built in.

If you go that route I would recommend that you also put in a voltage/time cutoff so that you don't end up damaging the LVB. Here's a good guide to get you going:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...hardwiring-a-dashcam-and-radar-detector.5542/

And here's my post in that thread about what I did:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...a-dashcam-and-radar-detector.5542/post-262345
What sort of battery drain do you see with the sentry mode enabled?

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
What sort of battery drain do you see with the sentry mode enabled?
Very minimal. I don't have my car with me because it's been dead for over a month so I can't pull the LVB data, but typically it wouldn't trigger a DC/DC inverter alert for about 3 days of non-vehicle use or charging. In other words, parked, not charging, not being driven for 3 days would eventually cause the LVB to get to a point where the DC/DC would kick in. I felt that was completely acceptable.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Honestly I thought that was true and I recall I wasn't able to read the card properly in a Mac about 2 years ago -- but I haven't tried recently. Will try when I'm back home....

sgriffin130

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Red Mach E- C/T Pkg, '23 Escape PHEV/Prem Pkg
Occupation
Dentist(retired)
Country flag
What's the best dashcam? If it matters, under $500.
I have the Thinkware 1000 with a radar sensor and battery pack. I wanted one that works when the car is off an unattended. Very satisfied with it, but it is not cheap. I believe the sentry mode is important.

Jimbo

First Name
Jimbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium 4X
Country flag
I went with the Thinkware U1000, as:
*Well-reviewed
*Dual cam with good sensors
*Has wifi capabilities
*Has low-power parking modes

I'm definitely happy with it. I also set up a script to auto-upload all the files to my NAS each day, so I don't have to deal with the app or take out the SD card if I want to view/save a video.

Only cons:
*Was hoping it'd be better at capturing moving license plates (not sure other offerings are any better)
*The Mach E is so bumpy that even at the least sensitive setting, the camera records a road bump as an "event" every few minutes
*No screen (I'm ok with this now, but what happens if Thinkware's app stops supporing this camera five years down the line)

P.S. Anyone have tips for keeping the rear window right below that blasted overhang clean, aside from wiping it every day? My rear cam often looks like I drove through a few haboobs.

Edit: Forgot to add, I was fearful that 24/7 recording would mess up the 12v battery/trigger those "something's draining your battery" alerts, but I've only received one of those in the ~6 months I've had it installed

eleven24

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT
Country flag
I'm definitely happy with it. I also set up a script to auto-upload all the files to my NAS each day, so I don't have to deal with the app or take out the SD card if I want to view/save a video.
Looking back through posts trying to figure out which dashcam to get (leaning Thinkware 3000) & never thought of the script idea. Genius. Assume the trigger is when the dashcam connects to home wifi?

intensifi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT
Country flag
I installed the Thinkware U3000 in my 23 GT. I have the rear camera and the external battery. I would give it a 7 out of 10.

good out of the box experience

the system is nice looking.

videos are fine. Easy to download to iphone.

radar works through the Mach E windshield for motion detection.

external battery takes the load off the 12V system.

issues:

1) There is no software ability to dewarp images. In the MachE you have to mount to the side of the center mirror. That means there is a decent offset to the front facing images. It is trivial to dewarp an image in software by specifying the center line of the hood with a movable line during setup. Sadly the tech support people are mystified by this concept. I’m an image processing engineer in a past life.

2) support email address is a dead address as of a week ago. Phone call is the only way to make contact. Chat is pretty much useless.

3) There should be only a single cable connection to the front camera. The camera requires 3 if you have a rear camera and an external battery. A pigtail to make those connections in the headliner is a no-brainer. As it is the install looks a bit cluttered up top.

4) Rear camera cable connects on the side. This means you will see a loop of cable in your rear view mirror. Connection should be on the back or top of the camera.

5) Many events trigger an “impact”. While there is no way to stop all false positives, there needs to be a way to not trigger on door closes.

6) For full featured access a WiFi connection is required. This wreaks havoc with CarPlay in an iPhone. A simple solution would be to fully support an iPad for accessing the camera. Unfortunately using an iPad is not supported for setup and some of the video modes. Sigh.

7) with an external battery, there is no reason to disallow WiFi access when the car is turned off. Unfortunately the car has to be on to access the camera for setup and video viewing/retrieval.

8) It is possible to set the camera to be near silent unless you have an external battery. With an external battery the camera insists on telling you the battery status at every power on and power off. It’s really annoying to hear about the 100% battery charge ALL THE TIME! How about only announcing state of charge at 10% or below?

9) manual needs about 5 more hours of writing time. Some options are obvious. Others have no description. For example, what is a safety camera and why do I need to download software for it/them?

10) Software is tolerable but needs a better UI design. I would have thought with all the U1000 experience the software interface would be better.

11) Tech support staff is somewhat knowledgeable but there was an attitude and ESL problem on my interaction with them. I am still waiting on a promised return call from a supervisor.

12) Their cloud video retrieval capability is disabled if you have radar mode enabled. This is a key feature of this camera so no cloud video support.

Key reasons I chose Thinkware is Ford resells the product, I can hardware it (avoid OBDII connection), external battery support and it‘s not MIC (made in China).

IMG_3729.jpeg

IMG_3732.png

IMG_3733.png

IMG_3735.png

IMG_3738.png

IMG_3739.png

IMG_3737.png

IMG_3773.jpeg

IMG_3752.png