SightUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
ARNG
Country flag
What's the best dashcam? If it matters, under $500.
Sponsored

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
If you want something that will work ala "sentry mode" when the vehicle is parked AND send notifications, I would recommend one of the LTE variants of Blackvue. There's addon modules for many cams to allow for notifications, but the LTE Blackvue cams have it built in.

If you go that route I would recommend that you also put in a voltage/time cutoff so that you don't end up damaging the LVB. Here's a good guide to get you going:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...hardwiring-a-dashcam-and-radar-detector.5542/

And here's my post in that thread about what I did:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...a-dashcam-and-radar-detector.5542/post-262345

Last edited:

mylittlepony

First Name
Dominick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE
Country flag
I have in the MME, ID.4, daughter’s Civic. Had them in other cars as well.

Bayviews88

First Name
Kenya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Rte1 RWD, Space White
Country flag

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
I have the Blackvue DR900x-2ch with the LTE module for cloud -- and I will say that Blackvue just redid their app and really screwed it up. They just issued an app update which seems to solve most of the issues, but they still are pushing their subscription plan on users somewhat aggressively.

Blackvue encrypts their recordings, so you must use their app to connect to your camera and download footage -- you cannot take the MicroSD card out and plop it in a computer, like you can with other dashcams.

Their critical app was changed to do the following horrible things:
-- require you to sign in to a cloud account with them, even to view local footage from your camera
-- App starts on a "social media" tiktok screen that has creepy live view videos, instead of starting on the page to connect to your camera
-- App puts up interstitial page every day (now every 7 days?) spamming you to subscribe to an unncessary cloud plan (for a $400+ dashcam you bought), no way to permanantly disable this
-- App signs you out every day, which means your expensive dash cam would not deliver push notifications if the camera detects anything
-- App is very buggy and frequently does not connect at all to camera, leaving no option to access your recordings, and it crashes frequently

Blackvue got so reemed in their App Store reviews (think they're down to 1.3 stars now) that they apparently are trying to fix the issues, but people just want the old app back which was completely fine.

I'm currently testing the main high-end competitor to the Blackvue, the Thinkware U1000. It has its own issues, and some advantages, but I haven't decided yet if the benefits of the Thinkware make it worth going thru the switching costs of ripping out my Blackvue.

We'll see if the Blackvue folks improve their app quick enough to make me less pissed off at them as a customer, before I have to return the U1000.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
Thinkware F200 PRO. Maybe not the best, but I'm very satisfied. This brand has better dashcams that fit your budget.
This is what I have. I like it.

Blackvue is also good. Both are made in SK.

If you just want something that will show who hit who in a fender bender and is easy to install, the Garmin Mini isn't bad and can tap into your mirror power.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
I really like ThinkWare cameras, but went with FitcamX for the Mustang because they have a nearly OEM-looking option with a direct plug solution (i.e., no splicing or running wires).

Last edited:

LM_COGT

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Vapor Blue Mach-E GT, 2019 CX-5, 2018 Leaf S
Occupation
EE
Country flag
Depends on what your key features are.

I picked the Viofo A119 because it routinely was rated high for video quality, had an optional polarizing filter (huge reduction in glare and dash reflection) didn't use a battery (low end Li batteries have a tendency to swell and fail in the harsh conditions of a car dash) and otherwise got out of the way - I didn't want an app, or railroad crossing warnings, just an appliance that records video to an SD card that I can present for insurance purposes, and don't think about unless needed.

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag

Mrn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMES
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
I recently installed a Rove R3. It has 3 channels for forward, rear and in-cabin recording. With a 256 GB memory card it will record quite a few hours before overwriting previous files.

It was $255 with a $100 discount last week.