CM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GTPE
Occupation
Developer
Country flag
Hello - I just bought a 2023 GTPE a couple days ago and I’ve begun using the departure time feature.
I had been remote starting the car in the morning before taking kid to school and the cabin is running AC when we get in at 6am, so I’m having to change to heat.
I went in today and added departure time to 6:25, cabin warm. There’s another toggle that says “precondition when unplugged”. It will not let me toggle that on. Do I need it on?

Thanks in advance, first EV.

IMG_5335.png
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
There seems to be some kind of bug with that feature currently. But it only cools the cabin while unplugged, not the battery (works the same as remote start when unplugged).

OP
OP

Gix1k

First Name
CM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GTPE
Occupation
Developer
Country flag
There seems to be some kind of bug with that feature currently. But it only cools the cabin while unplugged, not the battery (works the same as remote start when unplugged).
Thank you!

SprManKalEl

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD
Country flag
You don't want pre-condition when unplugged unless you absolutely need it.

Precondition is mostly for the battery to assist with warming/cooling the battery and the cabin before you drive so as not to use as much battery power doing if you were to just get in and take off. It's best for me in the winter as I drive 40 miles to and from work and the car is nice and warm when I get in in the morning. It is really to help extend the range but I think it only helps a minimal amount. May be more for those in colder climates. I live in NJ. I like it mre for the cabin temperature conditioning and really in the winter. I wouldn't pre condition (summer or winter) while unplugged.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You don't want pre-condition when unplugged unless you absolutely need it.

Precondition is mostly for the battery to assist with warming/cooling the battery and the cabin before you drive so as not to use as much battery power doing if you were to just get in and take off. It's best for me in the winter as I drive 40 miles to and from work and the car is nice and warm when I get in in the morning. It is really to help extend the range but I think it only helps a minimal amount. May be more for those in colder climates. I live in NJ. I like it mre for the cabin temperature conditioning and really in the winter. I wouldn't pre condition (summer or winter) while unplugged.
It is only preconditioning the cabin just like autostart. The car will not precondition batteries unless it is plugged in.

SprManKalEl

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD
Country flag
It is only preconditioning the cabin just like autostart. The car will not precondition batteries unless it is plugged in.
I don’t recall saying precondition while unplugged is for battery.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don’t recall saying precondition while unplugged is for battery.
Here are your first few sentences :

“ You don't want pre-condition when unplugged unless you absolutely need it.

Precondition is mostly for the battery to assist with warming/cooling the battery and the cabin before you drive so as not to use as much battery power doing if you were to just get in and take off.”

I just wanted to make it clear that the precondition warming/cooling of the battery, which you mentioned, only took place if plugged in.

MACHEMIKE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E AWD Ext Range
Occupation
Fire Fighter
Country flag
If using the on board navigation and selecting a DC charge station within a 30 min distance initiates the warming of the battery while in transit to the station, can I not trick my vehicle into thinking I’m going to do exactly that when I’m really sitting at work unplugged at the end of a cold workday, if I really wanted to precondition? If so, I guess the question then becomes is it worth sacrificing the energy compared to the potential gains in range.

Am I making any sense? I’ve only had my vehicle three weeks and I’ve been doing a lot of reading. Just trying to catch up. Thank you kindly.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
If using the on board navigation and selecting a DC charge station within a 30 min distance initiates the warming of the battery while in transit to the station, can I not trick my vehicle into thinking I’m going to do exactly that when I’m really sitting at work unplugged at the end of a cold workday, if I really wanted to precondition? If so, I guess the question then becomes is it worth sacrificing the energy compared to the potential gains in range.

Am I making any sense? I’ve only had my vehicle three weeks and I’ve been doing a lot of reading. Just trying to catch up. Thank you kindly.
Warming the battery prior to departure when not plugged in will result in a net loss of range.

MACHEMIKE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Fire Fighter
Country flag
Warming the battery prior to departure when not plugged in will result in a net loss of range.
Well that sums it up. Kinda had a feeling but wasn’t sure if there was a potential benefit. Thank you.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Well that sums it up. Kinda had a feeling but wasn’t sure if there was a potential benefit. Thank you.
There are some benefits in terms of regen and acceleration performance, and battery health. You should try to operate with a battery above 0°C.

I think if you have a DCFC set in the nav less than 30 km away, shut off HVAC, and have remote start set to “last settings” you can remote start the car and have it warm the pack unplugged.

MACHEMIKE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Fire Fighter
Country flag
There are some benefits in terms of regen and acceleration performance, and battery health. You should try to operate with a battery above 0°C.

I think if you have a DCFC set in the nav less than 30 km away, shut off HVAC, and have remote start set to “last settings” you can remote start the car and have it warm the pack unplugged.
Good advice. When the time comes, I’m definitely going to try it and see what the results are. I have to admit, the only thing that concerns me is the range in the winter. A colleague of mine has the same car and states that he only gets 250 km to a full charge in the winter. I live in Horseshoe Valley in Ontario Canada and have to drive into Toronto four days a week. It’s 120 km one-way. There are no chargers at my fire hall in the city. I don’t want to have to charge after my day end to make it home. I might be able to plug into a 120 V outlet for my 10 hour day.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Good advice. When the time comes, I’m definitely going to try it and see what the results are. I have to admit, the only thing that concerns me is the range in the winter. A colleague of mine has the same car and states that he only gets 250 km to a full charge in the winter. I live in Horseshoe Valley in Ontario Canada and have to drive into Toronto four days a week. It’s 120 km one-way. There are no chargers at my fire hall in the city. I don’t want to have to charge after my day end to make it home. I might be able to plug into a 120 V outlet for my 10 hour day.
250 km is sort of the winter range at 105 km/hr. It will be very important for you to use a 240V charger at home and do a full battery+cabin precondition every day before you leave in the morning. Plugging in 120V will only charge the battery, not heat it (unless it's fully charged). On very cold days you might have to drive more slowly or use less heat, but I think you can make it with some adjustments.

You'll probably want to read my past topics on cold weather charging and operation:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mach-lees-cold-weather-charging-strategies.24548/

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mach-lees-mach-e-cold-weather-testing-taking-requests.24393/

The 120V outlet would allow you to add about 32 km of range during a 10 hour day, which might take the edge off making it home. Maybe you could talk to your firehouse about adding a 240V outlet or charger?

MACHEMIKE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Fire Fighter
Country flag
250 km is sort of the winter range at 105 km/hr. It will be very important for you to use a 240V charger at home and do a full battery+cabin precondition every day before you leave in the morning. Plugging in 120V will only charge the battery, not heat it (unless it's fully charged). On very cold days you might have to drive more slowly or use less heat, but I think you can make it with some adjustments.

You'll probably want to read my past topics on cold weather charging and operation:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mach-lees-cold-weather-charging-strategies.24548/

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mach-lees-mach-e-cold-weather-testing-taking-requests.24393/

The 120V outlet would allow you to add about 32 km of range during a 10 hour day, which might take the edge off making it home. Maybe you could talk to your firehouse about adding a 240V outlet or charger?
Absolutely. I will be parked in an insulated garage every evening with a 240 V charger plugged in with departure set for one hour before I actually leave for work. I’m not sure one hour is enough time but that is my guess at this point. I have no issue keeping it down around 85 km an hour on the highway going into the city. I also don’t mind if the cabin is a little bit cooler. With respect to plugging in at work, best case scenario at this point would to gain a little bit of range as you suggested. I don’t think a 240 V is in the cards but I will certainly be inquiring. Thank you for the link on cold-weather driving. I’ll certainly read that.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Absolutely. I will be parked in an insulated garage every evening with a 240 V charger plugged in with departure set for one hour before I actually leave for work. I’m not sure one hour is enough time but that is my guess at this point. I have no issue keeping it down around 85 km an hour on the highway going into the city. I also don’t mind if the cabin is a little bit cooler. With respect to plugging in at work, best case scenario at this point would to gain a little bit of range as you suggested. I don’t think a 240 V is in the cards but I will certainly be inquiring. Thank you for the link on cold-weather driving. I’ll certainly read that.
FYI you set the departure time for when you actually leave, not early. The car automatically decides when to start heating things so they’re ready at the scheduled time.
Sponsored