Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Occupation
Marina owner
Country flag
Hi everyone. We have an all wheel MME with the extended battery. At 100% battery, my stated range is only 300km. I reset the driving after every trip. What range is everyone else getting?
Sponsored

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Hi everyone. We have an all wheel MME with the extended battery. At 100% battery, my stated range is only 300km. I reset the driving after every trip. What range is everyone else getting?
The MME's Guess-o-meter is at best completely accurate or at worst is wildly pessimistic. 30% range loss in -10C (14F) sounds right to me.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
If I’ve done the math right, that’s a little over 180 miles when it’s about 12 degrees F. Given that the stated range for an extended battery, AWD is 270 miles, it looks like you’re getting about a 33% range decrease which I think is less than I’ve seen others report at similar temps?

solarmoo900

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE AWD ER
Country flag
You probably shouldn't reset your stuff after every trip. The GOM is going to try and learn about your driving habits but if you just reset it every time it will never learn. Its just a guess, not actual range, so resetting it every time doesn't actually extend your range at all.

(I am not 100% on this but pretty confident)

EyeOnMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X. Prev: Restored a 67 Mustang convertible
Country flag
You probably shouldn't reset your stuff after every trip.
I'm not familiar (yet) with all the specific metrics kept for a Mach-E driver profile and what can be and can not be reset, but generally speaking, I would want to know what is meant by "reset the driving after every trip." Are we talking just the trip odometer getting reset? I would suspect that would be harmless to the machine learning (ML). Now if the entire driver profile is being reset, then, yes, I would agree that would impact the vehicle's ML on how optimizes battery usage. ... In all fairness, I could be way off base, again, I'm thinking more generally (meaning any EV with ML) versus specifically for the Mach-E.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I was getting about 180-200 miles in low single digits Fahrenheit on a 540 mile trip on a extended range AWD.
how fast were you driving and was that 180-200 miles of range from 100% down to 10% or less? When you recharged en route, how was that experience?

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
Is the cabin heater turned on? Have you measured the range using just seat heaters?

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
40% drop in range during single digit F and colder weather is common with Tesla owners. Road tripping with an EV in cold winter weather is going to be difficult with the limited DCFC CCS chargers in the colder regions of the country.

bluestarct

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Highlander, Mazda 6 GT, Mach E FE
Country flag
how fast were you driving and was that 180-200 miles of range from 100% down to 10% or less? When you recharged en route, how was that experience?
Most of the drive was 45-65 MPH along interstates. There were places with lots of snow and ice.

I tried using the seat heaters instead of the cabin heat as much as possible but seat heaters don't do much for cold toes.

Most of the charging was starting at 15-25% going to only a max of 60-65%. There were lots of problems with charging faults. I had to restart charging many times. The 200kw charger in Durant Oklahoma would not ever charge and most of the other chargers were 50kw chargers where I could speeds up to 48-49 at the top but sometimes only mid 30's.

Most charging times were 30-60 minutes of charging plus at least another 30 minutes of restarting the charging cycle.

The car is loads of fun to drive but the charging is a drawback right now. I have faith Ford will fix that.

Oh and driving with one pedal drive and unbridled was tricky at times on ice. As soon as you left off the gas, the tires tried to grab for the regen breaking and the back end would sway.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
interestingly, Bjorn Nyland's testing indicates the actual usable capacity of the ER battery is 84-85kWh and not 88kWh. That's like 7-12 miles of range that's been either hidden or locked out.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The projected range that the MME displays is just that - an estimate projected from a computer model. To find the "actual" range in the conditions, you need to drive some distance and track the km/kwh that you achieved, or you could just look at the percentage used over the distance (for accuracy in the data you'd have to use at least 20% since the reported used is rounded to a whole number).

Either way, doing the math on actual usage vs the estimated of range the car reports is much more accurate. Ford has clearly skewed their estimate algorithm to the conservative side so people charge sooner/plan shorter legs between chargers to ensure they reach their destination.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Most of the drive was 45-65 MPH along interstates. There were places with lots of snow and ice.

I tried using the seat heaters instead of the cabin heat as much as possible but seat heaters don't do much for cold toes.

Most of the charging was starting at 15-25% going to only a max of 60-65%. There were lots of problems with charging faults. I had to restart charging many times. The 200kw charger in Durant Oklahoma would not ever charge and most of the other chargers were 50kw chargers where I could speeds up to 48-49 at the top but sometimes only mid 30's.

Most charging times were 30-60 minutes of charging plus at least another 30 minutes of restarting the charging cycle.

The car is loads of fun to drive but the charging is a drawback right now. I have faith Ford will fix that.

Oh and driving with one pedal drive and unbridled was tricky at times on ice. As soon as you left off the gas, the tires tried to grab for the regen breaking and the back end would sway.
I'm not sure I would be doing 1P in snow and ice for exactly the reasons you stated above. Hitting the "brakes" in slippery conditions can be catastrophic.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag

bluestarct

First Name